Hey there, thanks for considering our cozy upstairs room at Literair Café De Graanrepubliek. 😄👋
TLDR: Private room upstairs (25m2) bookable with facilities: beamer, microphone, big table, wifi, up to 30 seated spots, up to 60 people without seats. Flexible setup. Meetings, pubquiz, pub lecture, birthday/graduation, arts & crafts, recitals, company socials, movie nights. Personal touch, generally no rental fee. Bring your own food. Friendly to small groups and students, discount possible. Check the online agenda for available dates. More info? Read down below. Or send an email right away!
– The upstairs room is very welcoming to smaller groups. If you are planning to accommodate groups under 20 people, we are happy to see you! You can really expect the personal ambiance to be extra profound, and your event will still feel vibrant and buzzy.
– If you want everyone to have a seat (comfortably) the recommended maximum amount of people is 25-30.
– If you don’t mind the seating too much: we have had events work out great with 50-60 people, this is very “gezellig”. It works because people will walk around, go home, come later, have a smoke, go downstairs etc.
– Please note, if you are experiencing limited mobility, that the toilets and the upstairs are accessible only via a narrow spiral staircase.
– regular event? we can discuss a permanent discount if you wish to become a recurring character!
– charity? NGO? we are happy to work with you and help you set up a fundraiser, event or otherwise further your goals. 🤗
– The upstairs room is all yours! We can help out setting up in advance if you have specific wishes for the layout. Feel very free to redesign any way you want. Otherwise, we will just let our experience guide us based on the theme of the event and the amount of visitors.
– By default the big table is not set up, since it takes up some space, but you could consider using it for your: arts & crafts, writing, assembly meetings, auction table, birthday presents, snacks, and so on. 📚Under the table is also a great cheeky place to hide your coats and bags, and a good spot for a trash bag.
– There is an amplifier upstairs that you can use. We want you to have fun (but ask that you also consider the volume a little bit).
– In house, we have a beamer if you wish to use it. 🍿
– You can connect wirelessly using Chromecast, or use our HDMI cable. An Apple adapter is not here. Apple and Chromecast seem to be at odds with each other now and then, please make sure you bring the right equipment. We always recommend bringing a device with an HDMI slot. Any device that has the Chrome browser should be able to connect without a cable. Android phones can cast a live copy their screen as well.
– Please note that using the beamer and the screen eats away some space, the recommended maximum amount of seats when using the beamer is about 25 people.
– We have a microphone ready to go if you want to use it, great for when you want to organise a pubquiz. We can make 5-6 groups with 5-6 people each (max 25-30 people).
– unfortunately we can no longer host live music bands due to restrictions by the municipality.
– You can always check the availability of the room on our public agenda.
– The bar usually opens around 3:00 PM, we are closed on Mondays. If you need to get in before opening (suppose you want to pick up some things the day after) that is usually no problem. Let us know!
– It is always recommended to come at least half an hour before, so you can check if the space is to your liking and adjust the layout, or put up decorations, balloons and so on.
– We kindly ask you to lower the volume of the music and the party around 1:00 AM to consider the tenant sleeping above you.
– Usually we aim to close the bar around 2:30 AM but this really depends on many things.
– Our address is: Gedempte Kattendiep 11, 9711PL, Groningen.
– Downstairs, there is a seated capacity for about 30 people.
– Outside: during the terrace season, we can seat about 30 people. During off season about 10 people.
– Downstairs and outside are not bookable and will be used by other customers. You are of course welcome to hang out here as well.
– Why not have a great time with your friends and family? 😊
– Why choose the Literair Café? After many years of building memories and expertise, we are one of the highest rated bars in Groningen according to Google reviews. Our visitors especially love the freedom they get upstairs, the personal touches and the inclusive approach, the surprisingly elaborate drinks menu with a focus on quality, and of course the fact that we are quite affordable for a cafe in the city centre!
– We have a very modest selection of snacks that you can purchase (may change):
Mars, Snickers, Kitkat Chunky, Bounty, Lion, Skittles, M&M Peanut, M&M Crispy, assorted nuts, salted corn, honey mustard corn, sunflower seeds, Popcorn Sweet or Salt, Pringles Original, Paprika, Hot & Spicy, Sour & Cream, sausage, Bifi, cheese, bapao beef or chicken, vegetable noodles, Snack a Jacks cheese or paprika, olives
– Bring your own food! It is very much encouraged to bring your own food free of charge, or arrange for an external food delivery service directly to the cafe.
– We have a microwave / oven.
– We have some bowls, plates and cutlery you can use.
– We have limited fridge space, but we can probably – hopefully – fit in a birthday pie and small snackies.
– Under 10 people, we ask for a contribution of 10 euros per hour. You may consider allowing other guests in the room if you are under ten people, so there will be no fee charged.
– Over 10 people, the reservation will be free of charge. We will ask you to order one drink per person per hour on average.
– How about the drinks? Of course it’s up to you how you want to settle the bill. You can let everyone pay for themselves, or you can give us a budget and we will let you know when you run out.
– We also offer an arrangement where you can use our custom coins. Coins are a great gesture to new arrivals, to make sure the budget is well distributed, and you know exactly how much you spend, on top of a nice discount!
– The price of one coin is always lower than the normal price of a small beer.
1 coin: 0,25 L beer, white/red/rose wine, sodas, hot drinks
2 coins: special beers, distilled, house whiskey
3 coins: single malt whiskey, cocktails
* exception for some selected items if the original price is +1 euro of the value of the coins
You can keep buying the coins per 10 each, a refund is not possible.
– It’s a small bar with a small staff. Likely, there will be limited table service. You are encouraged to order at the bar and take your drinks there. Bringing empty glasses is also very much appreciated.
– No hassle: we will not ask you for a contract or a deposit.
– Drop by at the bar, gives us a call at +3150 280 0006 or send us a mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and we are happy to talk to you and make your event happen.
If there is anything you’d like to know, please don’t hesitate to ask. We´d love to meet you – come say hello and see for yourself! 😁